once more about CSX

Dominik Wujastyk dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in
Sat Feb 25 12:34:11 UTC 1995

Jakub Cejka said:
> I got acquainted with CSX by FTPing it from ftp.bcc.ac.uk I think, and the
> font is named CSX.VGA. I really cannot find there e,o with macrons!
> ... Do I have some outdated version of this font?

No, you're absolutely right. There are e/o+tilde, breve, and grave and
acute are in IBM 437 (I now have strong reservations about using this as
a "bacground" to CSX; another topic for discussion).  But no e,o+macron.

Dravidologists: are e- and o-macron needed for Tamil?

CSX is *really* meant only for Sanskrit (hence "Computer Sanskrit
eXtended"), but the thinking was that if the addition of one or two
extra letters could add a whole other S. Asian language then great.  But
it may not be possible to take this very far, since there are fewer and
fewer characters that can be displaced easily.

Madhav: could you answer about Manjushree etc?  Thanks.

Dominik