s. kalyanaraman's note on 'canal' etyma

s. kalyanaraman s._kalyanaraman at mail.asiandevbank.org
Tue Feb 14 07:55:16 UTC 1995

     Prof. Cordona seems to imply that reliance on etyma is somehow less
     definitive than textual quotes. I submit that ancient tongues like
     Kuwi or Kui may not boast of a BrhadaaraNyaka Upanishad; but the
     lexical evidence in many such languages which constitute the lingua
     franca of the sub-continent cannot be dismissed lightly. I agree with
     Prof. Cordona that the texts he has cited do lend credence to the
     semantics of kulyaa to connote also a canal. I have advanced a general
     theory of semantics: in simple terms, this means that, in a social
     contract, the morphemes expand in meaning as life experience becomes
     richer. Thus, when a kulyaa or a pond is also used as a collecting
     point for drawing irrigation canals into the fields, the morpheme
     kulyaa could as well have expanded semantically to connote a canal.
     The lexicons do attest more than one meaning to the term kulyaa (e.g.
     ditch, trench, canal). For e.g., kaDagu, kaDangu also connote a small
     channel issuing from a larger one and leading water e.g. to a plantain
     tree; a channel, a ditch, a trench (Kannada); but, cf. kaDa to cross,
     cross channel cut through ridge of paddy field to let surplus water
     run off (Tamil); khaddhaa pit, ditch (Maithili); gaaRa hole (Oriya);
     khaaRo pit, bog (Marathi); khaal hollow, gutter, inlet (Punjabi)' xar
     hole (Gypsy); gaR ditch, hole in a husking machine (Bengali); garaaD
     pit, ditch (Gujarati); khaDDii hole for a weaver's feet (Punjabi).
     The point I am making is that when a number of languages spread across
     the vast sub-continent attest to a social semantic contract for a
     morpheme and enshrine such morphemes in epigraphs, and social usage,
     we should pay attention to those alternative morphemes also and not
     rely only on 'literary texts'. This is particularly important when we
     are dealing with such down-to-earth living issues such as 'irrigation
     canals' which may not be all that exciting to literateurs or
     philosophers. s.kalyanaraman.