moderating

Leslaw Borowski TANTRAPL at ramzes.umcs.lublin.pl
Mon Feb 13 19:10:58 UTC 1995

> moderation
> is more similar to the work of an editor-in-chief of a magazine and if he
> does not publish one's opinion one is not prohibited to express it
> elsewhere. So what censorship?
There are different notions of censorship. The problem is who should
decide on rules and decisions of allowing subjects. I suggested
voting already in my letter "I don't quite agree". If we decided to
choose people to do some work on the list and they agreedthat's OK.
But I'm not getting tired of touching twice a key to delete a message
so I would spare some work of a moderator.
>The list is for me and many others (I think) the only means of
> contact with the other indologists and possibly amateur indologists of the
> world,
and this is exactly the reason an "owner" of the list should not
simply say to anybody "go and make your own list". A "discussion
list" is different from a magazine. It is meant much more for
discussion and exchanging views (also - changing views). I think also
in most magazines their owners invested their own money for the sake
of getting something (usualy money) in return. Dominik Wujastyk did
not do all this for personal gains. They themselves or their proxies
can dictate whatever they want. The idea of INDOLOGY is so great that
its matters should be decided in common (thank you for support) and
rules should be discussed in public (not by sending individual
letters of support to the "owner"). I think also it is very healthy
to see connection between academic problems of indology and say
problems of actual life.   I think most members of the list would
decide not to allow much freedom of speech on the list (judging by
past voices) but let us at least agree(by voting) on rules and then
possibly on people in charge of control of the list. I would vote for
Dominik to be among them. Sorry my editor got broken,  I
cannot correct what I'm writing      Lesl~aw Borowski