moderation

Carlos Lopez clopez at husc.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 13 18:01:55 UTC 1995

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Jakub Cejka wrote:
> I AM STRONGLY FOR MODERATION OF THE LIST
> I do not think that moderation can be compared to censorship as censorship
> rather evokes goverment controll of opinions to be published, but moderation
> is more similar to the work of an editor-in-chief of a magazine and if he
> does not publish one's opinion one is not prohibited to express it
> elsewhere. So what censorship?
> If I decide to talk about indian politics I may even send my message to some
> of the members of the list directly - no problem!
> When I subscribed to indology list which claimed to be academical I expected
> that I would get only messages about classical indology or closely related
> topics and not long discussions about politics, subscribtion requests etc.

I strongly agree!  The issue is not censorship but rather the purpose and
topics of discussion for which this list was created.  I don't think
anyone is saying
that politics is not a valid topic; it is  just not one which falls in the
Indology list. Is there a another list for which such topics would be
more appropriate?

Thinking back on this last year, the majority of items that seem to come
through have little, if anything, to do with the intended topic of
discussion of this list: classical indology.  Perhaps, the purpose of the
list should be further clarified.

I am not really sure if there is a need for moderation but rather for
individuals to follow 'netiquette' (from Erica Garzilli's submission not
to long ago) in what it is posted to this list.

> but it becomes so time-consuming sometimes to delete all what
is not relevant.

This is quite true!!!

>It is however not the only place to express one's ideas
if they  are "moderated out".

As mentioned above.  There are a number of list available out there in
cyberspace which are appropriate to certain kinds of discussions.  I am
sure that individuals who share an interest in areas outside of classical
indology will find them an intereting and enjoyable place to discuss and
exchange ideas.

Carlos Lopez
Harvard University
Dept. of Sanskrit and Indian Studies