Moderation

Dominik Wujastyk dom at uclblr.iisc.ernet.in
Thu Feb 16 10:22:58 UTC 1995

J.K. Brzezinski said:

> In view of Dominik's request that the subject of moderation be
> discontinued, it seems clear that he himself does not wish to himself
> take up the job.

Please do not discuss moderation any more in this forum.  This does not
mean I don't think it shouldn't happen, or that I won't do it at some
time in the future.  It means what it says.  Please do not discuss this
matter on INDOLOGY.  When you joined INDOLOGY certain topics were
outlined as being the purpose of the list. Please stick to those topics.
If you do not, INDOLOGY ceases to perform the function for which it is
valued and for which people join it, and it will be closed down.

In case you had not noticed, I am trying hard to moderate INDOLOGY
by personal, case-by-case intervention, without imposing more formal
structures on everyone.  I feel this is a more humane procedure, and it
is also the only approach I am physically able to take, given my remote
and expensive email connection.  Please respect the effort I am making.

>  The majority opinion seems to favour the option.

With respect, Jan, this is not even close to being valid.  There are
more than 350 INDOLOGY members, and this whole moderation discussion has
been imposed on them by about six people.

> Ergo, we need volunteers for the position of moderator?

If someone would like to start a list (or a less formal group-email
arrangement) for discussing the running of INDOLOGY, please do so.

I mean this seriously.  This is the normal procedure for such matters on
the Net.  A separate, temporary list is set up for the particular
discussion of list policy, and for voting.  I don't mind at all if
someone wants to do this, although the question of representation will
arise. (I.e., if twenty people join and vote, do the other 330 take any
notice?)

Dominik