acknowledgement?

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 11:53:20 UTC 1995

Dear M. Quiviger,

I can't explain it, but my message responding to your query about
Roberto de Nobili and the prohibition of sex during pregnancy seems to
have disappeared completely.  This is annoying, since it was quite long
and had detailed documentation.

In short, I found that the classical medical text of Caraka says that the
pregnant woman must avoid over-exertion, riding on carts, etc., but does
not mention intercourse.   The author Sushruta adds intercourse to a
similar list of prohibitions. The later author Vagbhata, in his
influential Ashtangahrdaya, prohibits "excessive" sex during pregnancy.
Evidently he is trying to harmonize the two earlier views.

Dominik