Encoding

James E. Agenbroad jage at loc.gov
Fri Aug 25 13:20:28 UTC 1995

                                        Friday, August 25, 1995
In November 1991 the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) issued
"Indian standard: Indian script code for information interchange" (IS 13194)
It deals with the codes for letters leaving codes for conjuncts to the
software which will render the code visible for readers.  I do not have
a price.  Their address is (or was in 1991) Manak Bhavan, 9 Bahadur Shah
Zafar Marg, New Delhi 110002.  Though I have not been to India since 1982
I believe some word processing software in India uses this encoding scheme.
An earlier vesion of this standard was the basis for encoding Indic
scripts in the international standard ISO/IEC 10646 of which the Unicode(TM)
standard encoding scheme is an implementation.
The above is a purely personal opinion, not the official view of any
government or any agency of any.
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage at LOC.gov )