Poverty -Reply

James L. Fitzgerald PA114508 at UTKVM1.UTK.EDU
Wed Aug 23 17:14:02 UTC 1995

Since I guess it was my posting that occasioned these two questions, I'll
respond as to my own use of z for the palatal sibilant.  I am simply
mimicking the usage of Prof. Tokunaga's transliteration in his electronic
version of the MBh.  It is simply one way to make regular expression searches
of the electronic text easier.  His version of the Arthazaastra carries
the scheme out more fully.  I employ it in e-mail, etc., simply as an inter-
mediate, pragmatic solution to an annoying technological discrepancy.
For my own written work I either use a cobbled together set of characters
and macros in Word Perfect 6.1 or, more satisfactory in terms of the final
product, a set of specially designed diacritical characters for the
HPLaserjetIII that I access through the ancient post-processor in FinalWordII
(a beloved old friend that is aging gracefully, in spite of GUIs, SVGA, etc.)
If and when the Indological world arrives at some convenient standard for all
these script-issues I'll join up too as soon as it's easy.

Jim Fitzgerald