Origin and symbology of "Monsoon rain"

Richard Salomon rsalomon at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 31 18:40:57 UTC 1994

My understanding of  Ashok Sharma's query  is that he was not really asking
for the etymological replies that he got, but rather for more general
literary and cultural information.  If this is the case, a good place to
start, from the classical Sanskrit side, might be the collection of
verses on the rainy season in Section 10 of Vidyaakara's
Subhaa.sita-ratnakos'a, translated by D.H.H. Ingall's as An Anthology of
Sanskrit Court Poetry (abridged edition: Sanskrit Poetry from Vidyakara's
"Treasury").

-Richard Salomon