sabhaparvan

l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no l.m.fosse at easteur-orient.uio.no
Tue Oct 18 08:19:20 UTC 1994

>I just downloaded Prof. van Nooten's transcription of the Sabhaaparvan
>and see 240,000+ bytes of gibberish. If anybody out there who uses a
>Macintosh has successfully downloaded this into readable text, I would be
>interested in the rahasya, e.g. what font did he use, what ASCII codes
>are necessary (though I know next to nothing about ASCII), etc.?
>
>Thanks
>
>Fred Smith
>Univ. of Iowa

Van Nooten uses the CSX format, which means that if you use a PC, you need
the wnrir - files to get an indological transliteration character set.
These files you can get hold of by using ftp. Try these sites:

Indology ftp: Indology FTP : ftp.bcc.ac.uk
Login: anonymous
Directory:  /public/users/ucgadkw/indology

or

blackbox.hacc.washington.edu
(hacc = Humanities and Computing Centre in Washington)

Otherwise, with a bit of patience, you can convert van Nootens
transliteration into any other kind of representation by means of
search-and-replace.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Lars Martin Fosse