RAMAYANA & MAHABHARATA e-texts

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:20:26 UTC 1994

> With reference to David Magier's message, it would be nice
> if someone could post the exact e-mail address of the South Asia
> Gopher and the Columbia ftp server

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
HOW TO CONNECT TO THE SAG:

Simply gopher to: <gopher.cc.columbia.edu 71>; and then navigate down
through the menus as follows (Be sure to use port 71):
CLIO Plus/SELECTED TOPICS/South Asia.

If you have a gopher client software, use the following pointer ('bookmark'):
	Type=1
	Name=The South Asia Gopher
	Host=gopher.cc.columbia.edu
	Port=71
	Path=1/clioplus/scholarly/SouthAsia

---------OR-------------

Simply telnet to: <columbianet.columbia.edu>. Once connected to
Columbianet, select the menu item marked "CLIO Plus." Within that menu,
you'll find an item on the list labelled "SELECTED TOPICS: Internet
Resources By Subject" Select that one, and within it you'll find the South
Asia Gopher!

---------OR-------------

If you use MOSAIC or Lynx other web-browser, use this URL:
     gopher://gopher.cc.columbia.edu:71/11/clioplus/scholarly/SouthAsia

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

> It is indeed a good idea to
> centralize this type of information. To disseminate the information
> more widely, it may also be appropriate to post a brief table of
> contents of available material on Usenet newsgroups such as
> sci.lang, soc.culture.indian, soc.culture.tamil,...
> Also, there are many classical musical compositions (with text and
> sometimes notation) which have been posted on rec.music.indian.classical.
> (Indian musical notation is relatively easy to put in ASCII form.)
> Again, a centralized source of such material would be helpful.

These are all there within the South Asia Gopher. Look within the
SOUTH ASIANISTS submenu, in the item marked USENET Newsgroups. (Note:
actual access to the Usenet articles in these newsgroups only works if
you access the SAG by telnet as above. For some reason, we cannot get
this access to work if you go via gopher client or WWW browser. We are
still trying to fix this...)

As for the Columbia FTP server, its address is ftp.cc.columbia.edu
but note that there are not yet any indological files to be found
there.

Hope this helps. And, as always, please send feedback on the SAG (and
submit your entries to have yourselves listed in The International
Directory of South Asia Scholars -- let me know if you need info on
that).

David Magier            <magier at columbia.edu>
South Asia Librarian
and