Reference to "Sky-gazing" in Vijnana-bhairava

dwight at unixg.ubc.ca dwight at unixg.ubc.ca
Sun Oct 24 17:53:48 UTC 1993

Dear Mr. Shailendra,

Your reference to "sky-gazing" in the "Vijnana-bhairava" I think has little
to do with astronomy or the like. It is a technique for merging the
spacious of the
mind which is clear, radiant and empty with its similitude the sky. In the Bud-
dhist tantric work called the "Prajnaparamita-upadesa" by the Brahmin Aryadeva
which is a seminal founding work of the "Chedika" tradition (gcod) which
only survives in Tibetan, it recommends that the practitioner "blend his
mind with the vastness of the sky". This same practice which turns up in
Kasmir Saivite texts concerned with Pratyabhijna/Trika philosophy is also a
core practice of the "Santimaha" (rdzogs-chen) and mahamudra traditions
existings in Tibet and deriving from Indian sources. It is also a practice
in some existing Nath tradi- tions of India, but I am sure it does not
pertain to astronomy. Many of the living Gurus of some of these traditions
would verify this if asked.

                                                Dwight A. Tkatschow
                                                Ritsumeikan Institute
                                                University of British Columbia