Reference to "Sky-gazing" in Vijnana-bhairava

JSHARMA JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Mon Oct 25 14:06:51 UTC 1993

Dwight Tkatschow writes :

> Your reference to "sky-gazing" in the "Vijnana-bhairava" I think has little
> to do with astronomy or the like. It is a technique for merging the
> spacious of the mind which is clear, radiant and empty with its
> similitude the sky.

 Tantra means technique, and the study and applications of techniques
is technology. Quoting a modern tantric, "Science is our method, our
aim is religion". So what I implied by my earlier post is that modern
astronomers/scientists are modern tantrics. Tantra is technique
oriented and not doctrinaire, and whereas tantra has been suppressed
in India for some time, the west has seen a flowering of tantra
(technology) in recent history. Tantra-like approaches can be found
in many old traditions of other cultures, and hence bespeak of the
human condition as opposed to just a particular Indian tradition

This is not to take away from the scholarly wealth of information
Dwight has pointed towards.

J.B. Sharma
Gainesville College