Jai Singh's observatories

JSHARMA JSHARMA at Hermes.GC.PeachNet.EDU
Sat Oct 23 18:25:28 UTC 1993

Shailendra Mehta writes :

> Third, I have heard that among some meditators, the observatories have a status
> akin to that of Stonehenge, that is as special mystical places. Was this Jai
> Singh's intent ?

 Absolutely! Vigyan Bhairava Tantra prescribes gazing at the skies as
a technique in meditation. Folks who gathered at these places in
ancient (and modern) times studiously stared up for long periods of
time on starlit nights trying to gauge their place in the universe,
and ultimately themselves. Observatories still remain special
mystical places for the folks who gather there on starlit nights.

J.B. Sharma
Gainesville College