The order of the three grammatical genders in Sanskrit

leonard zwilling zwilling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:52:04 UTC 1993

Has any ordering of the three grammatical genders other than the customary
one of feminine, masculine and neuter [at least since 'Satapathabraahma.na]
been sanctioned by authority? I have encountered the order masculine,
feminine, neuter at one place in the supposed autocommentary to Umaasvati's
Tattvaarthaadhigamasuutra against the usual order which is given in the very
suutra under discussion. This divergence was not addressed by Ohira in his
study of that work. I'd greatly appreciate an assist on this. Thanks.
Leonard Zwilling
zwilling at facstaff.wisc.edu