[INDOLOGY] The Ḍākinījālasaṃvarārṇava tantra?

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Sun Sep 29 23:40:06 UTC 2024

Dear Indologists,

*Bee*: Thank you. This sounds interesting. I will definitely follow up on
this.

*Asko*: Thank you. Indeed, I had consulted the Szanto entry in the Brill's
Encyclopedia, but the Dwivedi/Samdhong Rinpoche source is new to me. Thanks
for that! However, I have a strong doubt that the ḌākinījālasaṃvarĀRṆAVA
(DJSA) text cited in my Vajravārāhī/-yoginī sources is identical to the
(Sarvabuddhasamāyoga-)Ḍākinījālaśaṃvaratantra (DJS) as surveyed by Szanto,
et al.

As I understand it, the DJS, proper, is an early "proto-yoginītantra," so
it strikes me as unlikely that the Six Vārāhi Scriptures/dPyal Threefold
Vārāhī traditions would reference it as a source text. It seems more likely
that the DJSA they reference is a later (real or imagined) yoginī tantra or
uttaratantra akin to the Ḍākārṇava.

As I mentioned in my first post, I also suspect (but cannot say for
certain) that the Ḍākinījālasaṃvarārṇava referenced in my Vārāhī/yoginī
texts might be the same as the Saṃvarārṇava mentioned in Sugiki and
English. Sugiki hypothesizes that the Saṃvarārṇava is an imaginary text,
but the fact that the (Ḍākinījāla)Saṃvarārṇava is cited relatively
frequently as a source text for Vārāhī/yoginī material makes me wonder if
it might be (or have been) a real text.

With all these concealed mysteries, it's no wonder they named the cycle
"saṃvara" hahaha.

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religionsgrad.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris
<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris>

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.