[INDOLOGY] List of paninian equivalents of western grammatical terms for sanskrit

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 5 15:16:29 UTC 2024

Dear Jan and Andrew,

I see no problem with equating, say, dvitīyā with accusative, if all we are doing is comparing case marking and if we are focusing on Sanskrit. Problems arise in two ways: Not every expected case marking in languages like English or German corrrdonds to the same case marking in Sanskrit (as in Jan’s example with yaj-); that’s an inevitable problem in translating (no matter how well we explain things, students have to simply accept that different languages construe things differently). The other issue is that equating accusative with dvitīyā tells only part of the story, since Sanskrit has the sophisticated system of vibhaktis vs kārakas to which there is no precise counterpart in traditional western grammars, and some approaches may even operate either more abstract notions such as logical accusative rather than logical or underlying object, and others try to solve the “problem” by enumerating different “fuctions” of the “accusative”, such as object or adverbial.

So, in short, as long as we don’t expect anything more than corresponding terms for case marking there should be no problem

All the best

Hans Henrich