[INDOLOGY] Book request

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue May 28 18:36:12 UTC 2024

In other words, I suspect Mā. to be an abbreviation of Mādhyandina-śākhīya
Vājasaneyi-saṁhitā; VS 8.52 contains much more that is relevant for the
passage than only the first pāda, and the editor apparently suggests that
the commentator Mādhava was (partly) inspired by this mantra VS 8.52 which
develops, explains, re-uses part of RV 8.48.3 (where "going to the light"
is not attributed to the sāma but to drinking Soma -- the production of
which is obligatorily accompanied by intensive sāma-chanting). This is why
he refers to it with dra. = draṣṭavyam = "compare". See also Mahīdhara's
comment on VS 8.52 (earlier or later than Mādhava on the SV?).
J.H.