[INDOLOGY] Many-armed gods

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Fri May 17 12:03:48 UTC 2024

One theory resulting from my fieldwork: Remodeling.

According to a Sinhalese mansucript, a handbook for artists in
non-standard Sanskrit ślokas, I read e.g. Viṣṇu has to be modelled with
two hands for his two attributes. The artist used the existing sculpture
depicting an earlier two armed god. He added two arms for the
Viṣṇu-Attributes. Now we got Viṣṇu with four arms.
Later, new Viṣṇu-scuptures are modeled with four arms.

Best

Heiner

Am 17.05.2024 um 13:20 schrieb François Voegeli via INDOLOGY:
> Dear Members of the List,
>
> A friend recently asked me a rather disconcerting question (for me at
> least): why do Indian gods have so many arms?
>
> My understanding was that these arms bear attributes of the god
> (trident, discus, severed head, etc.) to remind the devout of some
> parts of the god's gest, but I have not seen such explanation in
> Indian litterature.
> What is the Indian literature exactly saying about this quite
> remarkable feature and where (Purāṇas, Śilpaśāstras, or elsewhere)?
>
> Your input will be very much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> François Voegeli

Dr. Rolf Heinrich Koch
www.rolfheinrichkoch.wordpress.com