[INDOLOGY] Many-armed gods

François Voegeli francois.voegeli at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:20:45 UTC 2024

Dear Members of the List,

A friend recently asked me a rather disconcerting question (for me at
least): why do Indian gods have so many arms?

My understanding was that these arms bear attributes of the god
(trident, discus, severed head, etc.) to remind the devout of some parts
of the god's gest, but I have not seen such explanation in Indian
litterature.
What is the Indian literature exactly saying about this quite remarkable
feature and where (Purāṇas, Śilpaśāstras, or elsewhere)?

Your input will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

François Voegeli