[INDOLOGY] When -akṣ- becomes -ekh- ?

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Tue Jun 18 08:41:41 UTC 2024

See the first volume of SK Chatterji's ODBL (The Origin and Development
of Bengali Language) for a detailed explanation of all these
phonological changes. Although primarily focused on Bengali, the author
often discusses other MIA and NIA languages (including Oriya).

Specifically for Oriya, see Paresh Chandra Majumdar, A Historical
Phonology of Oṛiyā (Calcutta: Sanskrit College, 1970), basically
following ODBL.

The change a>e is mostly caused by vowel harmony.

L.