[INDOLOGY] When -akṣ- becomes -ekh- ?

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 18 03:52:57 UTC 2024

Dear Howard,

Thank you for your contribution.

Regarding your first example, I suspect that the genealogy might look
something like Skt. "-akṣa-" > Pkt. "-akkha-" > vernacular "-akha-"??

However, what has my colleague, her student, and I more intrigued is
how/why the "-akha-" turns to "-ekha-" in some vernaculars. I can think of
some examples of long "ā" turning to "e" in Odia, as with causative verbs.
For example from *basibā* "to sit" we get *basāiba* "to cause to sit,"
which also appears as *baseibā*. But these are all long "ā" vowels followed
by another vowel (rather than a short "a" before a consonant as with
Gorekha < Gorakṣa ), so I suspect these long "ā" to "e" examples might
result from a different process (?).

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religionsgrad.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris
<https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris>

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.