[INDOLOGY] flower query

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 06:00:35 UTC 2024

Dear Friends,

My query focuses on:

red oleander (*rakta**-karavīra*; *Nerium oleander*) ?

For context, it is used in the logo of an Indian-based wellness company in
which both

punarnava & पुनर्नवा are used. It seems this is done on purpose.

What makes this an odd choice for a wellness symbol/name is that oleander
is quite toxic and is responsible for many poisonings in India. It contains
cardiac glycosides, which inhibit the sodium–potassium adenosine
triphosphatase (Na-K-ATPase) pum
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6996654>p. Though some
Ayurvedic preparations (which I don't know what they are) include treating
skin conditions and the root is sometimes used as an abortifacient.

I understand that it is linked with Śiva in some way. Though I don't yet
fully know. According to numerology, it is linked to the number 2, which
refers to destiny to pursue knowledge and understanding of the human
condition. And the red colour is indicative of passion.

Are there any mythological crossover between Greek and Biblical mentions
with south Asian mentions? Therefore, I'm wondering if someone might know
of any mytho-literary mentions of this flower.

Thank you,

Patrick McCartney