[INDOLOGY] Fwd: CORRECTION: Writing anusvara with avagraha in devanagari (Harry Spier)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Jun 7 01:44:07 UTC 2024

From: Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu>
Date: Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] CORRECTION: Writing anusvara with avagraha in
devanagari (Harry Spier)
To: Harry Spier <vasishtha.spier at gmail.com>

Dear Harry,

     I have a significant memory of the absence of Avagraha in a Sanskrit
text. Around 1974, I was reading the text of Śaunakīya-Caturādhyāyikā, a
Prātiśākhya of the Atharvaveda, with a student of mine. This was Whitney's
edition based on a single manuscript available in the 1850s. One sūtra
describes the articulatory effort in the pronunciation of vowels as
"vivr̥tam svarāṇāṃ" Open in the case of vowels. The next sūtra in Whitney's
manuscript read "ekespr̥ṣṭam". Whitney's reading was "eke spr̥ṣṭam." Some
describe it as being "contact." Whitney wondered how some could believe in
this ridiculous view. While reading this text with my student, I suspected
that the original reading of the rule was not "eke spr̥ṣṭam", but
"eke+aspr̥ṣṭam", namely that the effort in the case of vowels according to
some was "non-contact." Evidently, the text was referring to two views:
open/non-contact.
     Later, over the next 20+ years, I collected about 22 manuscripts of
this text, and they proved my suspicion to be correct, as some manuscripts
did indeed use an Avagraha in this sūtra. The introduction of Avagraha must
have been done with the purpose of removing ambiguity in the text. But this
use of Avagraha and this meaning of Avagraha is unknown to old grammars,
Prātiśākhyas and Śikṣās.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]