[INDOLOGY] Publication Announcement

Williams, Michael Michael.Williams at oeaw.ac.at
Wed Jul 24 16:21:41 UTC 2024

Dear List Members,

I am delighted to announce the publication of my monograph “Existence and Perception in Medieval Vedānta: Vyāsatīrtha’s Defence of Realism in the Nyāyāmṛta”. The volume has been published by De Gruyter. It is available open access and can be downloaded from the publisher’s website:

https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9783110728521/html

It should now also be possible to order hard copies from De Gruyter.

The monograph is based on my original translations of Sanskrit texts, particularly the Nyāyāmṛta of the Mādhva philosopher Vyāsatīrtha. The text is widely considered a masterpiece of Vedānta philosophy and proved to be one of the most influential works in Vedānta from the sixteenth century onward. The volume also includes translations from the works of Jayatīrtha, Gaṅgeśa Upādhyāya, Madhusūdana Sarasvatī, and others.

A central focus of the book is the Mādhva critique of the doctrine of “indeterminacy” (anirvacanīyatā) and related issues about existence/nonexistence and the epistemology of perception. A central theme is Vyāsatīrtha’s use of the work of the Navya-Nyāya philosopher Gaṅgeśa Upādhyāya to critique Advaita philosophy.

With best regards,

Dr. Michael Williams

Research Associate
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Vienna