[INDOLOGY] Major grants for indological projects

John Taber jataber at unm.edu
Sat Jul 20 15:52:34 UTC 2024

I don't know if they count as "major," but we have received two grants from NEH since 2016 under their Scholarly Editions and Translations program to translate the Apoha Section (vv. 40-185) of the first chapter of Dharmakīrti's Pramāṇavārttika:

"Dharmakīrti on Thought and Language: Translation of Pramāṇavārttika-Svavṛtti, the Apoha Section (part 1: PVSV 24,14–45,20)," NEH award RQ-23052-15, Jan. 1, 2016 to Dec. 31, 2017, and

"Dharmakīrti on Thought and Language, Part Two: Translation of Pramāṇavārttika-Svavṛtti, the Apoha Section (part 2: PVSV 45,20–69,8)," NEH award RQ-266060-19, July 1, 2020 to Dec. 31, 2022.

Director: John Taber. Co-director: Vincent Eltschinger. Collaborators: Michael Torsten Much, Isabelle Ratié

The first part of the translation appeared as: Vincent Eltschinger, John Taber, Michael Torsten Much and Isabelle Ratié, Dharmakīrti's Theory of Exclusion (apoha). Part I. On Concealing. An Annotated Translation of Pramāṇavārttikasvavṛtti 24,16–45,20 (Pramāṇavārttika 1.40–91). Tokyo: International Institute for Buddhist Studies, 2018. (Studia Philologica Buddhica 36). The second part will appear soon.

John Taber
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico