[INDOLOGY] asti as copula

jason.cannon-silber at studium.uni-hamburg.de jason.cannon-silber at studium.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Jul 19 16:03:55 UTC 2024

  Dear all,

  First, a very belated thank-you to those who replied both on- and
off-list, and thanks especially to Nagaraj Paturi and Victor D'Avella
for providing references to additional discussions by vaiyākaraṇas and
for drawing my attention to the usages of "asti" recorded in the Vedic
Concordance. By the way, I realized from Dr. D'Avella's off-list
response that I had already made a mistake when I posed the question:
Speijer §2 cites one example of what he takes to be a copular "asti,"
but the other example is of copular "asmi," which is of course
acceptable by all accounts.

I may also note that even the one example of copular "asti" that
Speijer cites from the Pañcatantra of Viṣṇuśarman seems to me to admit
of a different interpretation, having read it in context. In the 1925
edition, p. 74 (I have not located the corresponding passage in
Edgerton's critical edition, if there is one), the full sentence is
"tad asmākaṃ svāmī Vainateyo [= Garuḍo] 'sti." I admit that the force
of "tat" here (repeated at the beginning of the next sentence) is not
completely clear to me, but it clearly has a connective function. In
any case, when read in context, the sentence is introducing the idea
that the birds have a "master" for the first time, and is not meant to
answer a question like "yuṣmākaṃ svāmī kaḥ?" ("who is your master?").
So I would be inclined to read this instead as an example of the
extremely common construction, "X(ṣaṣṭhī) + Y(prathamā) + verb of
being," meaning "X has/have Y." Hence "asti" could be read (quite
naturally, I think) as retaining its existential meaning here as well.

I am still far less qualified to speak on the Vedic idiom than I am on
the Classical, but it seemed to me that "asti" tended to have a
markedly "adessive" meaning in the passages that I briefly checked
from the Concordance. The strongest candidate for a truly copular
usage seemed to be in 5.39.1:

yád indra citra mehánā́sti tvā́dātam adrivaḥ ǀ
rā́dhas tán no vidadvasa ubhayāhasty ā́ bhara ǁ

Jamison and Brereton translate:

What is given by you in profusion, bright Indra, possessor of the stone,
that largesse bring here to us with both hands full, you finder of goods.

"mehanā" (which has here been translated as an adverb, "in profusion")
is apparently a point of some dispute, but in any case, the
collocation of "asti" with "-dātam ... naḥ" makes me feel that, even
here, the "adessive" force of "asti" is not irrelevant. Perhaps one
could try over-translating: "That bounty, O bright Indra, which is
[here] for us, being given by you ... "?

Best wishes,
Jason