[INDOLOGY] ucitiḥ ?

Raffaele Torella raffaele.torella at uniroma1.it
Mon Aug 26 17:24:47 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,
in the text I am currently editing all the three manuscripts have the following phrase, forming pādas AB of a śloka:

 saṃbhave vyabhicāre ca viśeṣaṇapadocitiḥ

An obvious emendation would be °padaucitī (the more common aucityam is impossible for metrical reason). Since I am always very cautious in correcting the transmitted readings, I am wondering whether any of you has ever met with the word ucitiḥ as an alternative to aucitī or aucitya, not recorded in any dictionary (known to me).

Many thanks!
Raffaele

Prof. Raffaele Torella
Emeritus Professor of Sanskrit
Sapienza University of Rome
www.academia.edu/raffaeletorella

--

*Fai crescere le giovani ricercatrici e i giovani ricercatori***

*con il
5 per mille alla Sapienza*

Scrivi il codice fiscale dell'Università
*80209930587
**Cinque per mille <https://www.uniroma1.it/it/node/23149>*