[INDOLOGY] earliest translations of Sanskrit or other Indian-language works?

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Tue May 16 15:31:37 UTC 2023

In addition to the 1610-1633 Jesuit Portuguese translation of Hindu legends, apparently from the Marathi, found in  J. WICKI, O Homem das trinta e duas perfeições e outras histórias (Ms. Opp. NN. 192 do Arq. Rom. S.J.). Escritos da literatura indiana, traduzidos por Dom Francisco Garcia S. J., Lisboa, Agência Geral do Ultramar, Centro de Estudos Históricos Ultramarinos, 1958,
there is also, samely edited by Joseph Wicki, the Tratado do P.e Gonçalo Fernandes Trancoso sobre o Hinduıśmo (Maduré 1616), Lisboa, Centro de Estudos Históricos Ultramarinos, 1973, where the ch. 18 includes a translation of the first six verses of the third chapter of the Taittirīya-Upaniṣad — see G. GISPERT-SAUCH, “The Bhṛgu-Valli of the Taittirīya Upaniṣad: an early XVII century European translation”, Indica (Journal of the Heras Institute of Indian History and Culture, Bombay) 5/2 (1968), pp. 139-144 [I would be interested to find a copy of this article], and Will SWEETMAN, "The Absent Vedas", JAOS 139/4, 2019, p. 790.