[INDOLOGY] earliest translations of Sanskrit or other Indian-language works?

Lindquist, Steven slindqui at mail.smu.edu
Tue May 16 14:16:29 UTC 2023

Though slightly akimbo of your question (since it is genre specific), the Upaniṣads first made it into Latin through Anquetil-Duperron’s retranslation (1801-02; also into French but unpublished) of a Persian translation. The Aitareya Up. into English was Colebrooke in 1805. Anquetil-Duperron often enough gets credited with “the first religious text translated into a Western language” but clearly that isn’t the case. I was always taught Wilkins was the very first, but never investigated that myself.

Cheers,

STEVEN E. LINDQUIST, PH.D.
ALTSHULER DISTINGUISHED TEACHING PROFESSOR
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, RELIGIOUS STUDIES
DIRECTOR, ASIAN STUDIES

Dedman College of Humanities and Sciences, SMU
PO Box 750202 | Dallas | TX | 75275-0202
Email: slindqui at smu.edu<mailto:slindqui at smu.edu>
Web: http://people.smu.edu/slindqui<http://faculty.smu.edu/slindqui>