[INDOLOGY] An Upaniṣadic Reader

Ananya Vajpeyi vajpeyi at csds.in
Mon May 15 03:45:57 UTC 2023

Dear Professor Olivelle,

At long last I am getting around to finishing a paper on the Bṛhadāraṇyaka.
I can't tell you how many times a week I bless you and thank you for the
enormous work you have done in translating, introducing and annotating the
early Upaniṣads. There are many things one couldn't even begin to do with
several major texts if you hadn't laid the foundations with your
painstaking scholarship.

As for MLBD and MRML, they have freely printed, published, cut and pasted
Indological works originally available in non-Indian editions for so long
that I don't think anyone notices, cares or minds any more, not even the
authors or whoever the original holders of copyright. If it didn't incense
our videshi colleagues so much, I guess it could be argued that it is
merely the age-old practice of dispensing with attribution, continued
through modern means!

Warm regards,

Ananya.

*Ananya Vajpeyi*