[INDOLOGY] Avagraha (or lack of) in Kashmiri manuscripts

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Thu May 11 01:53:19 UTC 2023

Thank you to all the knowledgeable people who answered both on and
off-list. Sven Ekelin, Deepro Chakraborty, Dominik Wujastyk, Lubomire
Ondracka,  Wlater Slaje, Jonathan Silk, Sweta Prajapati, Charles DiSimone,
Elliot Stern, Charles Li.

I wonder if this folio 6a from ajñānadhvāntadīpikā (attached) also from
Ragunath temple in Jammu like the other manuscripts, confirms that the
devanagari manuscripts are copying Sharada originals. This is the only
avagraha in the entire manuscript(circled with a blue line).  I had thought
this was an insert, but looking at a Sharada font, this appears to be the
position and size of the Sharada avagraha.  So maybe the scribe just absent
mindedly wrote it in the way it was in the Sharada original.

Harry Spier