[INDOLOGY] Avagraha (or lack of) in Kashmiri manuscripts

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue May 9 08:34:39 UTC 2023

Please see also Prof von Hinüber's review in the IIJ:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/24665894.

Perhaps this is also a nice chance to remind everyone of the existence of
this journal and invite your contributions ;)

Jonathan

On Tue, May 9, 2023 at 10:01 AM Walter Slaje via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> See
>

> https://www.harrassowitz-verlag.de/Korrektur_Differenzierung_und_Abk%C3%BCrzung_in_indischen_Inschriften_und_Handschriften/title_3753.ahtml
>
> The table of contents downloadable from the Harrassowitz site provides
> good orientation on the degree of coverage of Indian scripts and auxiliary
> characters used in inscriptions and manuscripts.
>
> Regards,
> WS
>
> Am Di., 9. Mai 2023 um 09:43 Uhr schrieb Lubomír Ondračka via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info>:
>
>> I think the best and most comprehensive book not yet mentioned, which
>> covers more than its title suggests, is:
>>
>> Katrin Einicke, Korrektur, Differenzierung und Abkürzung in indischen
>> Inschriften und Handschriften, Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 2009.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, the author also discusses the use of
>> sandhivigraha.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lubomir
>>

>> On 09.05.2023 1:35, Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY wrote:
>> > I agree with Deepro about the absence of any good, comprehensive book.
>> > But to add to the readings, I would mention some lesser-known sources:
>> >
>> >   *
>> >     Grierson, George Abraham. 1916. “On the Sarada Alphabet.” The
>> >     Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland,
>> >     677–708. http://www.jstor.org/stable/25189479
>> >     <http://www.jstor.org/stable/25189479>.
>> >   *
>> >     Murthy, R. S. Shivaganesha. 1996. Introduction to Manuscriptology.
>> >     Delhi: Sharada Publishing House.
>> >   *
>> >     Nair, K. Maheswaran. 1998. Manuscriptology. Trivandrum: Swantham
>> Books.
>> >   *
>> >     Mukhopadhyaya, Bijayanath. 1985. Administration of Manuscript
>> >     Libraries with Special Reference to Sanskrit. Calcutta Sanskrit
>> >     College Research Series. Calcutta: Sanskrit College.
>> >   *
>> >     Tripāṭhī, Chandrabhāl. 1975. Catalogue of the Jaina Manuscripts at
>> >     Strasbourg. Indologia Berolinensis ; Bd. 4. Leiden: E. J. Brill.
>> >     (Introduction)
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Dominik
>> >
>> > On Mon, 8 May 2023 at 17:11, Deepro Chakraborty via INDOLOGY
>> > <indology at list.indology.info <mailto:indology at list.indology.info>>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     You are most welcome.
>> >
>> >     I cannot think of any single book that covers all such issues. You
>> >     can check some of the volumes of Studies in Manuscript Cultures
>> >     <https://www.csmc.uni-hamburg.de/publications/smc.html>. Some
>> >     volumes are particularly dedicated to Indic manuscripts, such as
>> >     Volume 10: Bidur Bhattarai's Dividing Texts: Conventions of Visual
>> >     Text-Organisation in Nepalese and North Indian Manuscripts
>> >     <https://www.csmc.uni-hamburg.de/publications/smc/smc10.html>. For
>> >     the Kashmiri manuscripts, I would recommend Michael Witzel's 1994
> [...]

Prof. dr. J.A. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk