[INDOLOGY] Albrecht Wezler († 11 April 2023)

Michaels, Prof. Dr. Axel michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue May 9 06:33:16 UTC 2023

I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing of Albrecht Wezler. As my teacher in Hamburg, he had a significant impact on my academic journey, imparting invaluable knowledge with his profound expertise and meticulous philological attention to detail. He played a crucial role in opening doors to various career opportunities for me. It is thanks to him that I had the opportunity to come to Nepal and lead the Nepal-German Manuscript Preservation Project (NGMPP), where I could combine my passion for textual studies with field research.

I am particularly grateful to Albrecht Wezler for his remarkable openness to different approaches to Indian culture and history. His generosity in embracing alternative perspectives has left a lasting impression on me. I will always cherish the memories of his mischievous sense of humor and his genuine care and warmth in numerous aspects of our interactions.

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and all those who were fortunate enough to know him.
Axel Michaels

Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels
Seniorprofessor - Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums der Josefine und Eduard von Portheim-Stiftung für Wissenschaft und Kunst

Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies (CATS) / Südasien-Institut der Universität Heidelberg
Vossstr. 2, Geb. 4130 • D-69115 Heidelberg • Tel. +49-6221-5415209
Email michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de<mailto:michaels at hcts.uni-heidelberg.de>
Websites  https://www.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/krs/abteilung/michaels.htmlhttps://www.hadw-bw.de/forschung/forschungsstelle/religions-und-rechtsgeschichtliche-quellen-des-vormodernen-nepalhttps://www.hadw-bw.de/en/research/research-center/nepal-heritage-documentation-project-nhdp

My latest book publications https://heiup.uni-heidelberg.de/reader/download/769/769-68-93823-1-10-20210602.pdfhttps://www.amazon.de/Kultur-Geschichte-Nepals-Axel-Michaels/dp/3520212013https://www.amazon.de/Homo-Ritualis-Oxford-Ritual-Studies/dp/019026263X