[INDOLOGY] Etymology of the word"Devnagari"

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 23:37:00 UTC 2023

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 at 11:51, Andrew Ollett via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> It seems that the INDOLOGY archives can now only be searched back to 2021
> (?). Anyway, I did not succeed in finding the discussion, but the etymology
> from Wikipedia is certainly wrong.

This is a continuing source of irritation. Our archive of indological
discussion goes back to 1990, and we must reinstate it as a searchable
resource.  However, with positive support and efforts from our current
Mailman company, and several attempts with different approaches and ideas,
we've been unable to get it working well.  I am myself not certain what the
problem is.  It may be a combination of the archive being unusually large,
and having been encoded using different character encoding standards at
different times.  Whatever the problem, we haven't forgotten about it.  One
day, one of us will put some resources into the problem and get it up and
running again.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk
INDOLOGY list <http://indology.info> committee member
*Please do not reply to me personally: re*ply to
indology-owner at list.indology.info