[INDOLOGY] ळ in south Indian grantha sanskrit manuscripts

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Fri Mar 24 10:02:40 UTC 2023

I was in course of stating more or less the same as Anna Aurelia about the Malayalam script manuscripts, observing the regularity of the use of the retroflex for peculiar words, which, I would add, usually preserve this peculiarity in their borrowing/inclusion within Malayalam language. The retroflex is systematically replaced by -l- in the Devanagari manuscripts which are transcripts of Malayalam script mss., with the problem that this retroflex can in fact also sometime be used for -ḍ- (see below jaḷa for jaḍa etc.).
Contrasting examples are viḷambita (cf. viḷambase in Esposito's post) with a "forced" intervocalic -l-  > -ḷ- after a prefixe (lamb- alone being written with l-), versus viloḷita keeping the initial -l- of the theme after the prefixe. A more complete listing of the forms of the concerned words (from the apparatus in crit. ed. mentioning them) should be made for drawing linguistic conclusions. The references of Philipp Maas are useful in this respect.

A few samples from a text in course of edition

vilolita : viloḷita
kuntala : kuntaḷa
lalita : laḷita
pulinā : puḷinā
milatpulakakuḍmalaṃ : miḷatpuḷakakuḍmaḷaṃ
valakṣagu : vaḷakṣagu
kalakala : kaḷakaḷa
alinda : aḷinda
gala : gaḷa