[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at matfyz.cz
Tue Jun 13 13:02:48 UTC 2023

What we have done in the past when with the new revisions of transliteration standard is having a strict transliteration and having a simplified/modified transliteration. The former is intended to provide 1:1 reversible mapping (annotated with one-way “implementations can encounter X in existing text” notes when appropriate), the latter is usually more appropriate for educational context and is allowed to rely on language knowledge (for example spelling out vowels in unmarked semitic languages).

The said rule 3a would not be possible in a strict system.

The standards are concerned about plain-text transliteration. Language tagging is left to the higher protocol, but if you have that, then you can tag which transliteration system you are using directly rather than inferring it from a language.

Indeed TC46 in general is mostly librarians and archivists, that’s why I thought it would be good to reach out to colleagues here and I am glad to see the interest. Let’s hope we can find an acceptable solution for both librarians and scholars.

Thanks,

Jan