[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at matfyz.cz
Wed Jun 7 10:53:39 UTC 2023

Dear all,

It is my anecdotal impression that IAST/ALA-LC is more used in the U.S. where the ISO transliteration standards are not very known, while in Europe, the ISO schemes generally happen to be followed, regardless of whether people had actually seen the standard or not. I would think that the standard can be found in or requested from a university library. You can also reach out to your national standardisation body and ask for the ISO standard to be adopted as a national standard. Depending on your NB licensing model, this might or might not make it more accessible to you.

Unfortunately, I have don’t have any leverage on the ISO licensing policies and no experts in the committee receive any money from the sales of the standard or ISO in general. Traditionally I believe the standardisation model works on the premise that an industry following a standard will benefit enough from it to not only offset the purchase costs but also invest in developing it. Clearly that model does not work for academia. Unicode has expressed an interest in having a machine-readable data file for the transliteration standards and I am currently exploring how this could be done procedurally and what license would that come with, but I cannot promise anything at this point.

> I think one of the considerations in revising the standard should be a preference for character combinations that can actually be displayed properly in more than just a few fonts.

You can also look at it the other way round – having a standard define a set of characters to use gives you some leverage and go to font vendors or OS vendors and say “we need these characters to be supported, this standard mandates their usage”.

While I am sympathetic to take usability factor into consideration and in particular I do support dots below for vocalic r and l, I want to point out that there is a lot of bad fonts out there especially for Indic scripts and I would be cautious about trying to accommodate to bad practices.

Best regards,

Jan