[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Wed Jun 7 09:29:14 UTC 2023

Dear All,

A quick note: Titus does not use IAST (see the r̥, and the aspirates):

agním īḷe puróhitaṃ yajñásya devám r̥tvíjam /

hótāraṃ ratnadʰā́tamam //

agníḥ pū́rvebʰir ŕ̥ṣibʰir ī́ḍyo nū́tanair utá /

etc.

Here is the source information: "On the basis of the edition by Th.
Aufrecht, Bonn 1877 (2.Aufl.), entered by H.S. Ananthanarayana, Austin /
Texas;
TITUS version with corrections by Fco.J. Martínez García, synoptically
arranged with the metrically restored version by B. van Nooten and G.
Hollandand the "Padapātha" version by A. Lubotsky,
by Jost Gippert, Frankfurt a/M,

31.1.1997 / 28.2.1998 / 24.6.1998 / 22.10.1999 / 1.6.2000"

https://titus.fkidg1.uni-frankfurt.de/texte/etcs/ind/aind/ved/rv/mt/rv.htm

I hope this helps,

Regards to all,

             Satyanad Kichenassamy

Le 07/06/2023 à 10:08, Harry Spier via INDOLOGY a écrit :
> Thank you for the clarification Madhav.  Since your book predates the
> 15919 standard, I'm wondering what sanskrit books after creation of
> the 15919 standard have chosen it over the IAST standard.  The two
> Clay Sanskrit library books I have use the  IAST transliteration
> scheme and as far as I can see the Sanskrit etexts in GRETIL also use
> IAST.  Muktabodha uses IAST.
>
> Harry Spier
>

> On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 8:14 PM Madhav Deshpande <mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>     Thanks, Harry, but while writing my संस्कृतसुबोधिनी, which goes
>     back to mid-1980s, I did not consult "ISO 15919 standard" or any
>     such documents. I was following, what seemed to me at the time, to
>     be the prevalent practice. If my memory serves me correctly, to
>     use r̥, r̥̄, l̥, with small circles under r and l, I was
>     influenced by Wackernagel's Altindische Grammatik. I had used the
>     same in designing my diacritics font Manjushree-CSX. While the
>     ancient fonts used for the संस्कृतसुबोधिनी going back to mid-1980s
>     and the pre-Unicode Manjushree-CSX are no longer usable, I am
>     generally continuing to use these diacritics today. Probably just
>     by acquired habit.
>
>     Madhav
>
>     Madhav M. Deshpande
>     Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>     University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>     Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>     Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies,
>     Bangalore, India
>
>     [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

>     On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 4:38 PM Harry Spier via INDOLOGY
>     <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>          To download a  pdf of the current ISO 15919  standard (a 30
>         page document) costs 145 Swiss francs = 160 US dollars. I'm
>         wondering if this is one of the reasons that most people use
>         IAST for transliterated Sanskrit.  The only place I've seen
>         the ISO 15919 standard used in a book is Madhav Deshpande's
>         sanskrit primer संस्कृतसुभोधिनी .
>
>         Harry Spier

Satyanad KICHENASSAMY
Professor of Mathematics
Laboratoire de Mathématiques de Reims  (CNRS, UMR9008)
Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne
F-51687 Reims Cedex 2
France
Web:https://www.normalesup.org/~kichenassamy