[INDOLOGY] CFP for AAR's Seminar on the Mahābhārata and Classical Hinduism: November 18-21, 2023

Collins, Brian collinb1 at ohio.edu
Tue Jan 31 11:45:13 UTC 2023

Dear Indology List,

Below is the call for proposals for the AAR's Seminar on the Mahābhārata and Classical Hinduism.  The meeting is scheduled for November 18-21, 2023.
The Seminar’s call for papers for its third year includes "Regional, Vernacular, and Performative Mahābhārata Traditions."  This session would be devoted to texts and traditions of Mahābhārata performances such as theater, dance, and recitation, and vernacular language textual traditions, with a focus on the religious uses of these traditions.  Modern retellings in pulp, graphic, and film formats are also relevant to this area of inquiry.
In response to the 2023 Presidential Theme, we also include a call for proposals on the Mahābhārata’s depictions of serving or marginalized classes – the dāsīs, the sūtas, the hunters and butchers and fisher-folk, emphasizing their roles as exemplars of wisdom and dharma.  We are also interested in proposals that consider the literal and figurative "handcrafting" of Mahābhārata, by authors ancient or modern who contribute in original ways to leave their mark on retellings of epic narratives.
In an effort to encourage diversity in seminar participants, those who presented papers in our 2022 meeting are unlikely to have proposals accepted for the 2023 meeting.  We seek to include the best proposals we receive, and to seek publication opportunities for them.  Proposals are due in PAPERS by March 1.
As we operate as a seminar, proposals that we accept are to be presented as completed papers and are due October 1.  These papers will be circulated on our Listserv so we can read them before the meeting, and each paper will receive about half an hour of discussion at the meeting with the aim to offer suggestions for improving and extending the papers for possible publication.
Best,
Brian

Assoc. Prof. Brian Collins
Department Chair and Drs. Ram and Sushila Gawande Chair in Indian Religion and Philosophy
Author, The Other Rāma: Matricide and Genocide in the Mythology of Paraśurāma<http://www.sunypress.edu/p-6920-the-other-rma.aspx> (SUNY Press, 2020)
Editor, Bollywood Horrors: Religion, Violence, and Cinematic Fears in India<https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/bollywood-horrors-9781350143173/> (Bloomsbury Academic, 2021)