[INDOLOGY] Pūrva-pakṣa

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:50:42 UTC 2023

Yes, your understanding is correct, Prof. Howard Resnick.

Shaastraartha or Vaakyaartha or Vaada may represent the argumentative
approach from both sides in a better way.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 6:04 PM Howard Resnick <hr at ivs.edu> wrote:

> Dear Scholars,
>
> Some friends of mine plan to publish a journal on Vaiṣṇava polemics and
> apologetics, both internal and external, and they want to name the journal
> Pūrva-pakṣa, which MW renders as "the first objection to an assertion in
> any discussion, the prima facie view or argument in any question.”
>
> Since these scholars want to refute, or at least problematize,
> philosophical and theological objections to their own traditional
> doctrines, I thought the title inappropriate. My view has been that
> pūrva-pakṣa simply refers to a view or argument that one hopes to refute.
> It does not refer both to the opposing view, and also to one’s refutation
> of that view.
>
> Have I understood this correctly?
>
> Many thanks,
> Howard

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.