[INDOLOGY] Devanagari v and b in manuscripts from Kashmir

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 14:31:56 UTC 2023

Thank you Michael for your usual clarity.
1. Does the brownish red over a word in a manuscript always mean a
deletion? For example in this manuscript on page 1 there is brownish-red
ink blob covering the word "sarva" but deleting this would make the meter
incorrect. Note: page 2 has what looks like an obvious deletion with a
strikethrough instead of a blob of ink. (removing this text preserves the
meter).

2. Michael wrote: [this manuscript\] has many North Indian peculiarities,
This manuscript and others I've examined from this collection  from
different scribes have verse  numbers at the end of verses but no dandas.
marking either 1/2 verse or the end verse.    This is even the case in a
manuscript that starts with ||śrigaṇeśāyanamaḥ ||  I.e. a phrase in double
dandas. Is this (numbers only but no dandas marking verses) a north Indian
peculiarity? Is it common?

Thanks,
Harry Spier