[INDOLOGY] pināka meaning triśūla of Śiva

Asko Parpola aparpola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:42:45 UTC 2023

According to Mayrhofer’s Etymological dictionary (Bd. II, 1992, p. 132) pínāka- n. means ’stick, staff’ (Stab, Stock) and ‘bow’ (of Rudra/Śiva) (attested since Atharvaveda and Yajurveda). According to Mayrhofer, the word has not been convincingly explained, but the connection with Greek pínaks m. ‘wooden board, writing tablet, painting, etc’ and Russian pen’ (gen.sg <http://gen.sg/>. pnya) ’stump’ of a tree (Frisk II 539 with literature) remains possible. — In my opinion, the word can be convincingly explained: pi = api ‘upon’ + nāka- m. heavenly vault, sky = rainbow seen upon the sky and understood as the bow of Rudra/Śiva.

The abbreviations for the lexicographers are Ak. = Amarakośa, Bhar. is a commentary on Amarakośa, H ) Hemacandra, an. is Hemacandra's  Anekārthasaṅgaho, Med. k. = Medinīkoṣa (Medinīkara’s Nānārthasaṅgraha).

Best wishes, Asko Parpola