[INDOLOGY] Publication announcement: “A Lasting Vision: Dandin’s Mirror in the World of Asian Letters”

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:59:29 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to report the publication of an edited volume on Daṇḍin’s *Mirror
of Literature* (*Kāvyādarśaḥ*) and its long-term effects on various
literary traditions in Asia:

Yigal Bronner (ed.). *A Lasting Vision: Dandin's Mirror in the World of
Asian Literature*. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2023. South Asia
Research. ISBN: 9780197642924.

Here is the book abstract:

> *A Lasting Vision* is dedicated to the *Mirror of Literature* (
> *Kavyadarsa*), a Sanskrit treatise on poetics composed by Dandin in south
> India (c. 700 CE), and to the treatise's remarkable career throughout large
> parts of Asia. The *Mirror* was adapted and translated into several
> languages spoken on the southern Indian peninsula (Kannada, Tamil) and on
> the Island of Sri Lanka (Sinhala, Pali), as well as in the Tibetan plateau
> far to the north (Tibetan, Mongolian). In all these receiving cultures it
> became a classical text and a source of constant engagement and innovation,
> often well into the modern era. It also travelled to Burma and Thailand,
> where it held a place of honor in Buddhist monastic education and
> intellectual life, and likely to the islands of Java and Bali, where it
> contributed to the production of literature in Old Javanese. There is even
> reason to believe that it reached China and impacted Chinese literary
> culture, although far more peripherally than in other parts of Asia. It
> also maintained a prominent position in Sanskrit learned discourses
> throughout the Indian subcontinent for at least a millennium.
> This multi-authored volume, organized by region and language, is the first
> attempt to chart and explain the *Mirror'*s amazing transregional and
> multilingual success: what was so unique about this work that might explain
> its near-continental conquest, how was it transmitted to and received in
> these different environments, and what happened to it whenever it was being
> adopted and adapted.

The book is *open access* and can be downloaded from the publisher's website
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/a-lasting-vision-9780197642924?cc=us&lang=en&#>
(here
<http://fdslive.oup.com/www.oup.com/academic/pdf/openaccess/9780197642924.pdf>
is a direct link to the PDF).