[INDOLOGY] Unicode: Pabuchi and Ranjana

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at matfyz.cz
Thu Apr 27 11:23:41 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Unicode keeps receiving proposals for encoding scripts from both past and present India and I thought it might be valuable to reach out and encourage feedback from the Indology community.

One of the proposed scripts for encoding is for Pabuchi, a script used for writing Sirmauri and Mahasui languages used by astrologers in Himachal Pradesh. Is anybody familiar or have any contacts with this community? I would like to independently verify some of the claims made in the proposal, especially since the knowledge of the script has traditionally been considered sacred and not for sharing.

Another proposal we would be looking for feedback on is Ranjana (unified with Lantsa) for writing Sanskrit, Newar and other local languages. The proposal is available at https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23028-ranjana.pdf.

Feel free to respond in the group or reach out to me offline if you had any comments or suggestions.

Thank you and best regards,

Jan