[INDOLOGY] the word 'sesame' and the use of sesame oil

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Apr 26 12:26:07 UTC 2023

Dear Robert,

     The generic Sanskrit word for oil [*taila*] is derived from *tila
*"sesame."
I wonder if that indicates the same as the primary source of edible oil.
Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]