[INDOLOGY] the word 'sesame' and the use of sesame oil

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:48:42 UTC 2023

I think for all Sanskritists , the etymology of the word tailam from tila =
is not unknown.

So sesame oil seems to be so fundamental as an oil that the word tailam
came to refer to all oils.

In Ayurveda, तैलेsनुक्ते तिलोद्भवम्‌ is the tradition.

This expression is from Saarangadhara Samhitaa Prathama kaanda first
section first chapter.

Both Charaka and Vagbhata mention tailam and commentators explain that

तत्र तैलेषु मध्ये श्रेष्ठं तिलोद्भवम्‌ ( सर्वांग सुंदरी टीका )

चरक संहिता सूत्रस्थान 13 अध्याय explains स्नेहकर्म and mentions sesame oil.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM Robert Zydenbos <
zydenbos at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Dear list friends,
>
> A non-Indological colleague asked me whether there are any references in
> ancient Indian literature to the medicinal use of sesame oil.
>
> Related: is there any Indian word in any language for 'sesame' that
> resembles 'shumshum', 'simsim' or 'shamashammu'?
>
> Any information concerning these two questions would be most welcome.
>
> RZ
>
> --
> Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos / ಪ್ರೊ. ಡಾ. ರೊಬೆರ್ತ್ ಜೆಯ್ದೆನ್ಬೊಸ್
> Institute of Indology and Tibetology
> Department of Asian Studies
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (University of Munich – LMU)
> Germany

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.