[INDOLOGY] article search

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:16:56 UTC 2022

Sharing a Telugu video clip  from eastern Andhra Pradesh in which this
yogic 'minstrel' (?) is singing a lyric while seeking alms as part of his
life style. The lyric mentions Advaita mahaa vaakyas.

A friend who shot this a few days ago on his mobile phone was asking me for
the source of this lyric.

I told him that it is a song called Krishna Rukminee Samvaadamu, a
traditional 'folk song' that got documented during the late
nineteenth century when folk song collection and publication activity was
picking up.

There is a huge amount of such lyrics, called tattvams in Telugu in various
forms including lullabies, work songs ,  bairaagi songs etc., which contain
Hatha Yoga mixed Advaitic ideas , that are associated with Yogi mathas that
include Scheduled Caste individuals alongside others as Gurus and Sishyas.

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 6:50 PM Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I am now grateful to have the article I sought, but I would still be
> pleased to receive any further references you may have to the topic:
> the teaching and study of Advaita-Vedānta (or any other "orthodox" form of
> Vedānta) among "scheduled castes" in modern or pre-modern times.
>
> thanks in advance,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Associate, The Divinity School
> The University of Chicago
>
> https://brill.com/view/title/60949
>
> https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

> *Subject:* [INDOLOGY] article search
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Might one of you have a soft copy of Sengaku Mayeda,
> "Śaṅkara and Nārāyana Guru,"
> From the book Interpreting across Boundaries
> <https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9781400859276/html>?
>
> I would also be grateful for any other references you may have to the
> teaching and study of Advaita-Vedānta (or any other "orthodox" form of
> Vedānta, for that matter) among "scheduled castes" in modern or pre-modern
> times.
>
> with thanks as always,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Associate, The Divinity School
> The University of Chicago
>
> https://brill.com/view/title/60949
>
> https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.