[INDOLOGY] Dhanvantari gayatrī-mantra with source

Vitus Angermeier vitus.angermeier at univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 26 07:52:12 UTC 2022

Dear Harry,

regarding early Ayurveda (before Vāgbhaṭa) I can add the the following:

  * Only the Suśrutasaṃhitā mentions Dhanvantari regularly but this is a
    secondary development. As this article shows, his role was augmented
    only from around the 9th century onward:
    https://www.academia.edu/56668282.
  * According to the sources, mantras do play a minor role in early
    Ayurveda. For example, in the whole Suśrutasaṃhitā I could find only
    17 passages directly referring to mantras, only 9 of them quote
    specific mantras.
  * Addressed deities include Śiva/Rudra, Brahmā, Viṣṇu, the Aśvins,
    Agni, Varuṇa, Vāyu, Soma, etc., but not Dhanvantari.

Thus, mantras addressing Dhanvantari are very likely a later development
or originate in other (maybe tantric) healing traditions.

For more details, you can take a look at this workshop paper on
Medication or Magic? Mantras in Early Āyurveda
<https://www.academia.edu/79051821/> which I presented earlier this year
at the mantra workshop in Vienna. At the moment, I am preparing a more
comprehensive article on the same topic, but it is still work in progress.

Best wishes,
Vitus

Am 25.10.22 um 16:55 schrieb Harry Spier via INDOLOGY:
> Dear list members,
> Firstly thank you to Dominik Haas who found a reference in a modern
> womans travel journal to India.  Other than that I was extremely
> surprised that I couldn't find any mantras in any written sources to
> Dhanvantari.  I searched GRETIL, the Muktabodha digital library, and
> the Kyoto Archive of Sanskrit Texts (Michio Yano and colleagues) .
> There were lots of references to dhanvantarI (dhanvantarir uvAca
> etc.)  but as far as I could see no mantras to him (of course its
> possible I missed them).
>
> Any supposition about why these are so rare (non-existent?) in written
> sources but all over the internet.  In ayurveda is it other deities
> that are used in healing mantras?  Or even better if the ayurvedic
> experts could point me to any mantras to dhanvantari (or other
> deities) used in healing.
>
> Thanks again,
> Harry Spier
>
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 4:36 PM Harry Spier
> <vasishtha.spier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Dear list members,
>     I was asked to find gayatrī mantras to the god of healing
>     Dhanvantari (but with a source). I'm able to find lots of mantras
>     (including gayatrī mantras) on youtube and the internet but they
>     don't give a source.
>     Ideally would be a gayatri mantra with a scriptural source (some
>     ayurvedic text?) but acceptable would be some modern book
>     collection of mantras etc. And even some shloka or non-gayatri
>     mantra in a text asking for healing from Dhanvantari would also be
>     acceptable.
>     Thanks,
>     Harry Spier

–––––––––––––––––––––––

*Dr. Vitus Angermeier*
PI at the FWF Project "Epidemics and Crisis Management in Pre-modern
South Asia"
University of Vienna
Department of South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies
<https://stb.univie.ac.at/en/>
Spitalgasse 2, Courtyard 2.1
1090 Vienna, Austria

T: +43-1-4277-43516 ][ vitus.angermeier at univie.ac.at
<mailto:email at example.com> ][ @jalaukika
ORCİD: <https://twitter.com/jalaukika>0000-0002-8505-6112
<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8505-6112> ][ at HCommons
<https://hcommons.org/members/vangrmr/> ][ at Academia.edu
<https://univie.academia.edu/VitusAngermeier> ][ Personal Website <
https://homepage.univie.ac.at/vitus.angermeier/>

Epidemics and Crisis Management in Pre-modern South Asia
<https://stb.univie.ac.at/en/research/research-projects/fp-detail-engl/news/epidemics-and-crisis-management-in-ancient-south-asia/?tx_news_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=News&tx_news_pi1%5Baction%5D=detail&cHash=b5c886e2c2aa2c9ad5d69fa3451cab4d>

The Initiative for Fair Open Access Publishing in South Asian Studies
<https://foasas.org/>, contact at foasas.org