[INDOLOGY] Prādyuṇaka/-ika

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:35:57 UTC 2022

I haven't seen prādhunika in the witnesses for this particular verse.
The printed editions and most MSS I have seen of the
Praśnatantra/Praśnakaumudī/Jyotiṣakaumudī attributed to Nīlakaṇṭha tend
to have prāyaṇika, though there must be dozens of editions I haven't
seen, and hundreds if not thousands of MSS. The single MS I've seen of
the original Praśnatantra (which is the middle part of Samarasiṃha's
tripartite Pṛcchoddeśa) has something that, to be honest, could be
either prāghuṇaka or prādyuṇaka, though I'd say it looks slightly more
like a dyu to me. The MS that unquestionably has prādyuṇika is of the
'Nīlakaṇṭha' text, but contains a greater proportion of Samarasiṃha's
work than most such MSS, and generally superior readings.

It would be interesting to know how pāhuṇiya and related forms were used
in western and northwestern vernaculars around the 13th century,
especially whether they typically had connotations of kinship or close
relations (contrasting with the status of a guest in general). I'm not
sure where to look for that sort of information, though.

Best wishes,
Martin